City / County Landfill
The County and City of Peoria co-own the municipal waste facility (landfill) located at 11501 W Cottonwood Road in Edwards (off Route 8, near Wildlife Praire State Park). The second phase or Landfill Number 2 opened in 1998 and has an estimated to close by year 2022.
The next phase, Landfill Number 3, is set to open at the close of Number 2 around 2022. In addition, Peoria Disposal Company will sponsor a citizen's convenience center for the collection of recyclables and some household chemicals and paints.
- Landfill Number 2 is operated by Waste Management
- Hours are: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.* Monday-Friday; 7 a.m. to Noon* Saturday
- Last truck 30 minutes before close
- Phone number is 309-565-4281
- There is a recycling drop-off center on-site for residents to deposit: paper (including cardboard), plastic bottles Number 1 and Number 2, glass jars/bottles, and metal cans.
- Oversight of operations is handled through the City or County Landfill Committee, which meets monthly.
- Yard Waste is no longer accepted at this facility. Please use LHF Compost for your yard waste refuse. You can call 309-697-0963 or visit it in person at
1510 Cameron Lane
Peoria, IL 61602
Landfill Tarp Policy
In an effort to keep the roads of Peoria County and the City of Peoria clean, the Peoria City/County Landfill Committee has adopted a requirement that all loads entering the landfill be secured or tarped to prevent material or debris from falling off or blowing our of vehicles.
Effective October 1, 2010 all loads must be secured by either a tarp or rope/strap
Any loads not secured by either a tarp or some sort of rope/strap that, in the judgment of the scale operator, would prevent debris from escaping, will have an additional fee of $20 charged. Posted 8/20/10
Landfill Number 3
The future landfill number 3, citizens convenience center/hazardous chemical facility. When the current landfill, dubbed Landfill Number 2, reaches capacity and closes, the City and County have already selected the vendor to handle our community's waste needs, the future Landfill Number 3 (really creative name, huh?)
In addition to a landfill, the selected vendor - Peoria Disposal Company (PDC) - proposed the addition of a citizen's convenience center for the collection of recyclables and a permanent place for residents to properly dispose of household hazardous waste. Every household has paint, pesticides, and other chemicals and with the limited events available, we are very excited about this new program. But we have to wait a little while. In the meantime, PDC has prepared an application for this facility and submitted it to the Illinois EPA to obtain the proper permits.
Peoria City or County Hazardous Chemical Facility Application
Following are the documents included in the Peoria City or County Hazardous Chemical Facility Application that were approved by the City or County Landfill Committee and each entity's board or council in 2013:
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- Section 1 - Illinois EPA Forms (PDF)
- Section 2 - Introduction (PDF)
- Section 3 - Site Suitability (PDF)
- Section 4 - Design (PDF)
- Section 5 - Operating Plan (PDF)
- Section 6 - Closure Plan (PDF)
- Section 7 - Design Drawings (PDF)
- Appendix B - Site Suitability Standards (PDF)
- Appendix C - Mine Subsidence Plan (PDF)
- Appendix D - Contingency, Emergency, and Fire Prevention Plan (PDF)
Note that Appendix A - legal Description of Facility was not included at this time.