County Board: Strategic Plan
Peoria County engaged in a strategic planning process over three sessions in Summer and Fall of 2016 with County Board Members, elected officials, and senior staff. Participants reviewed the organization’s operating environment, identified the major challenges facing the County, and identified a set of six strategic priorities. The sessions yielded a draft strategic plan for the three-year period of 2017-2020.
The goals Peoria County is focusing its energies and resources on through 2020 are:
- Financial Stability
- Infrastructure Stewardship
- Effective Service Delivery
- Healthy Vibrant Community
- Workforce Development
The Strategic Plan includes a vision statement and guiding principles to help maintain focus on long-term goals. The incorporated principles that guide our vision serve as a checks and balances system for all policies, decisions, plans and actions. If a policy does not meet the standards set forth by our guiding principles, then the policy does not reflect our vision for the future and shall not be implemented. During its strategic planning process, Peoria County identified the vision of where we want to be by creating a vision statement:
Peoria County 2025 is a collection of livable, sustainable communities with a strong, growing economy
and connectivity within the region and to the world, providing opportunity for all its residents.
Cooperative local governments provide efficient and effective services and
are responsive to residents and to community needs.
County government is mandated to perform certain services; these services must be considered when each core business within Peoria County Government develops its business plan. By adhering to its plan, the core business improves and provides better services to its citizens. Scrutiny of each business plan led to the development of a mission statement denoting the primary principles that define our desired approach to service within county government. The mission of Peoria County is to ensure that:
Peoria County Government is financially sound and provides core county
services in a cost-effective manner.
The county has a quality workforce and an engaged citizenry.
The county is a regional leader.
Employee support of our Strategic Plan is crucial to its success. Therefore, the County Board has identified values that all employees of Peoria County Government are expected to espouse in their daily activities. These values best complement our vision, reflect our core beliefs and set forth performance expectations intended to guide behaviors and actions. In the SPIRIT of excellence, Peoria County employees exhibit and advocate:
To ensure the above core values are integrated into Peoria County's personnel infrastructure and become synonymous with our daily work environment, specific guidelines accompany each value.
- Respond and follow-up in a timely manner
- Understand the needs or concerns of the customer
- Link to a resource that will help the customer
- Take time to explain your decisions and actions to your customer
- Meet or exceed customer expectations
- Arrive at work on time and ready to go
- Look for more efficient, better ways to do the job
- Use resources efficiently
- Go the extra mile to ensure a satisfied customer
- Do the job right the first time
- Be honest
- Treat others with respect
- Follow through on promises and commitment
- Be courteous and polite
- Be receptive to feedback and constructive criticism
- Be accountable for your actions
- Assume responsibility for problem solving
- Bring up issues and suggest solutions
- Hold yourself and others accountable
- Outline clear performance standards and responsibilities
- Do your job with minimal supervision
- Be flexible
- Look for ways to learn and improve your job skills
- Look for new methods and cost-cutting measures
- Keep your technical knowledge current
- Look at the big picture: what is best for the county?
- Know your role, responsibilities and job duties
- Cooperate with others
- Understand and appreciate the problems of others
- Be supportive of the county, your department and your team
- Work with citizens to plan projects or policies