Recycling and Conservation: City/County Landfill
The County and City of Peoria co-own the municipal waste facility (landfill) located at 11501 W Cottonwood Road in Edwards (off Route 8, near Wildlife Praire State Park). The second phase or Landfill #2 opened in 1998 and has an estimated to close by year 2020.
The next phase, Landfill #3, is set to open at the close of #2 around 2020. In addition, Peoria Disposal Company will sponsor a citizen's convenience center for the collection of recyclables and some household chemicals and paints.
- Landfill #2 is operated by Waste Management
- Hours are: 7am-4pm Monday-Friday; 7am-12:00pm Saturday (as of 5/1/14)
- Phone number is 309-565-4281
- There is a recycling drop-off center on-site for residents to deposit: paper (including cardboard), plastic bottles #1 & #2, glass jars/bottles, and metal cans.
- Oversight of operations is handled through the City/County Landfill Committee, which meets monthly. For more information, view the City's page http://www.peoriagov.org/public-works/public-works-garbage-landfill/
- Yard Waste is no longer accepted at this facility. Please use LHF Compost for your yard waste refuse. 1510 Cameron Ln, Peoria - 309-697-0963
Peoria Landfill Tarp Policy - see below
In an effort to keep the roads of Peoria County and the City of Peoria clean, the Peoria City/County Landfill Committee has required that ALL LOADS ENTERING THE PEORIA CITY/COUNTY LANDFILL BE SECURED OR TARPED to prevent material or debris from falling off or blowing out of vehicles. Therefore:
Effective October 1, 2010 all loads must be secured by either a tarp or rope/strap.
Any loads entering the landfill that are not secured by either a tarp or some sort of rope/strap that, in the judgment of the scale operator, would prevent debris from escaping, will have an additional fee of $20.00 charged. Posted: August 20, 2010
THE FUTURE LANDFILL #3, CITIZENS CONVENIENCE CENTER/HAZARDOUS CHEMICAL FACILITY
When the current landfill, dubbed Landfill #2, reaches capacity and closes, the City and County have already selected the vendor to handle our community's waste needs, the future Landfill #3 (really creative name, huh?)
In addition to a landfill, the selected vendor - Peoria Disposal Company (PDC) - proposed the addition of a citizen's convenience center for the collection of recyclables and a permanent place for residents to properly dispose of household hazardous waste. Every household has paint, pesticides, and other chemicals and with the limited events available, we are very excited about this new program. But we have to wait a little while. In the meantime, PDC has prepared an application for this facility and submitted it to the Illinois EPA to obtain the proper permits.
Following are the documents included in the Peoria City/County Hazardous Chemical Facility Application that were approved by the City/County Landfill Committee and each entity's board/council in 2013.
*note that Appendix A - legal Description of Facility was not included at this time.