Treasurer: Delinquent Tax Information
The Annual Tax Sale will take place November 6, 2017 in the Peoria County Courthouse in the County Boardroom on the 4th floor starting at 9:00 a.m. We require a certified check be placed on deposit with the Treasurer's office, before the sale, in the amount of one and a half times the amount of the tax liens you plan to buy. This listing does not constitute legal advice and is merely provided as a convenience for the public.
Peoria County Tax Sale Instructions to Those Interested in Participating
The information that follows is condensed and brief. For further information, please consult the Illinois Compiled Statues, Chapter 35 (the Revenue Act) Section 200. See the excerpts of the relevant statutes.
Annually, the Peoria County Treasurer holds a tax sale of all the current delinquent real estate taxes. At the sale, tax buyers will bid on the percentage of penalty that will be charged to the taxpayer. All Tax Buyers MUST be present to bid. There are no unsold taxes available after the tax sale. Peoria County does use an electronic method of conducting the sale.
- All Tax Buyers must register 10 business days prior to the tax sale. The registration must include your name, address, telephone number (home and work), and your social security number or F.E.I.N number.
- There is a $500 deposit per buyer to be submitted at the time of registration. This deposit will be applied to the amount due on properties the registrant purchases at the tax sale.
- If a registrant cannot participate, the registrant may notify the Treasurer's office no later than 5 business days prior to the sale of the name of the substitute person to participate in the registrant's place. No additional deposit is required in this circumstance.
- Failure to attend the tax sale will forfeit the deposit.
- Taxbuyers who attend and fail in their attempt to purchase parcels shall receive a refund of the deposit.
- For a fee of 10 cents per parcel, the tax sale list will be available via e-mail starting in late October and will be updated on a regular basis.
- Buyers purchasing delinquent taxes will be required to submit certified funds the morning of the tax sale. A deposit of 1-1/2 times what you expect to spend at the tax sale is required before the sale. Tax buyers will be notified of any balance remaining, which will be due the morning following the tax sale.
- A list of their purchased delinquent taxes will be available to all Tax Buyers on the morning following completion of the sale.
- Any corrections must be made by 5:00 p.m. the Tuesday following the sale.
The penalty starts at 18% per six-month period and decreases as the tax buyers bid competitively against one another. The lowest percentage is accepted and will be calculated at six-month intervals from the date of tax sale.
The amount of delinquent taxes plus cost of tax sale (currently $123.00 as stipulated by statute) must be paid by the successful bidder with certified funds within 24 hours.
If the property is owner occupied, the redemption period is two years and six months. Prior to the expiration of the redemption period, tax deed procedures must be completed. The service of an attorney that is familiar with tax deed procedures is strongly advised. Purchasing taxes at the tax sale does not automatically give the tax buyer any legal right to the property. The redemption period, set by law, must expire without redemption before a tax deed can be issued. Should the tax buyer fail to fulfill the requirements as outlined in 35 ILCS 200/21&22, the tax buyer will lose their money and any interest in the property in question.
Assignment of County Sales
In the absence of a tax buyer's bid, the County of Peoria Trustee enters an automatic bid of 18% and becomes the tax buyer.
County Owned Property for Sale
The Peoria County Trustee, as tax purchaser, does acquire property through the tax deed procedure. Once the property is acquired, the County sells the property at an auction held yearly (Public Auction for Surplus Property). The sale is conducted under the direction and authority of the County Board, which is acting as Trustee for the taxing districts. Parcels are sold to the highest bidder. All necessary research is the responsibility of the potential buyer.
The Public Auction for Surplus Property will be held on August 30, 2017 at the Packard Plaza in Peoria. The auction starts at 6:00 p.m. The property catalog that lists available property for auction will be available 30 days prior to the auction in the Peoria County Treasurer's office. The catalogs cost $15 or less. The proceeds from this sale are distributed to the taxing districts. You will be required to make a down payment the night of the sale and the final payment is due 60 days later.
Please direct all inquiries regarding the Public Auction of Surplus Property to:
Peoria County Delinquent Tax Agent
141 St. Andrews
P.O. Box 96
Edwardsville, IL 62025
(618) 656-5744 or (800) 248-2850.