Peoria County Animal Protection Services
Who We Are
Peoria County Animal Protection Services (PCAPS) demonstrates a successful partnership between governmental agencies and private organizations. The shelter is operated by the County of Peoria through agreements with the Peoria Humane Society and the Peoria County Veterinary Medical Association and remains the only open admission animal shelter in Peoria County.
Through these agreements, PCAPS can:
- Prevent and control rabies through animal bite investigation and rabies registration
- Enforce state, county and city animal control and welfare laws, consistent with your city's level of contractual service
- Investigate animal bite reports and cruelty or neglect reports
- Operate a shelter for stray and homeless animals
- License dogs and cats
- Adopt animals to responsible homes
- Promote responsible pet-ownership and animal welfare through counseling and law enforcement
- Rescue animals that are lost, diseased, injured, or in peril
- Offer a variety of spay or neuter programs to Peoria County residents
PCAPS remains an open admission shelter and accepts every animal that comes to the shelter. In 2016, PCAPS received more than 4,000 domestic and wild animals. While many dogs and cats come to the shelter as strays, nearly 30% are brought to us by owners who could no longer keep their pets.
We proudly feed and recommend Hills Science Diet.
Our goal is to find the best possible outcome for every animal that comes to our door. In many cases this is adoption, returning the animal to its' owner, or transfer to another agency. On occasion, if an animal is suffering or is too aggressive to be placed back into the community, it may be euthanized. We work with many partner organizations to help ensure that every animal is given the best opportunity for a good outcome following their stay at PCAPS.
PCAPS is located on north east Perry Avenue, two blocks north of Woodruff High School behind Glen Oak Park. For specific directions, please call PCAPS at 309-672-2440.
Visit us on Facebook to stay up to date on all of our programs and special events!