The laws below apply to all City and County residents unless otherwise stated. For a complete copy of the animal control ordinances for your area, call PCAPS at 309-672-2440 or go to the Municipal Code website.
- All domestic animals must remain on their owner's property at all times unless restrained by a leash, fence, or carrier / cage
- All dogs and cats over 4 months of age must be vaccinated against rabies and registered in Peoria County
- All animal bites to humans must be reported to the animal shelter within 24 hours
- No dog or cat may create a nuisance by:
- Excessive barking or noise-making
- Causing unsanitary or offensive conditions
- Damaging property
- Chasing vehicles
- Attacking, chasing, interfering with or intimidating people or other animals
- No person may abandon any pet
- Every pet owner must provide food, water, shelter, and medical care to their animal
- No person may treat an animal cruelly by:
- Killing or wounding
- Beating, ill-treating, tormenting, overloading, or overworking
- Causing, instigating, permitting or attending any dogfight or other combat between animals or between animals and humans
- Allowing an animal to remain unattended in a motor vehicle where the animal's health is threatened
- No person may own a vicious animal. Certain municipalities including Peoria, Hanna City, West Peoria, Bellevue, Chillicothe, and Peoria Heights require a multiple pet owner license. Call PCAPS at 309-672-2440 for details that vary by city
- Any female dog or cat in heat must be confined within a secure enclosure
Ordinance violation tickets may be issued when a violation occurs and fines range from $50 to $300. For a complete copy of the animal control ordinance, please contact PCAPS at 309-672-2440 or go to the Municipal Code website.
Thank you for being a responsible pet owner!