The Peoria County Courthouse is closed to the public until further notice. We have developed a process to still issue marriage licenses during this time. The steps include:
- Submitting your information through the online application
- We will call you to confirm the information and mail you the printed application
- When the printed application is received, call our office to schedule a time for a video call between 8:30 AM and 11:30 AM.
- Google Hangouts will be used for the video call. The free app is available for iPhone and Android phones, as well as on a PC or MAC. Both individuals will need to be present during the video call. We will need to see both individual’s government issued photo ID, we will give the oath, and have you both sign the application.
- Mail the application and a check for $75 back to us in the envelope provided.
- When we receive the signed application and payment, we will mail you the marriage license.
For additional information, call 309-672-6059 during our temporary hours of 8:30 AM - noon Monday - Friday.
Online License Application
In order to save yourself time, you may submit your application online prior to coming to our office.
Both applicants must be 18 years of age, or applicants 16 or 17 years of age may marry only after both parents of the minor sign a consent form available from our office. The signature of the consenting parents must be notarized. Your parents may complete the form when you obtain your license but they must provide identification for the notary, or if consenting parents complete the form prior to the time of application, the signatures must be notarized.
All applicants are required to show proof of age. We accept a certified copy of a birth certificate, a valid driver’s license, a draft card, state identification, U.S. Passport or military identification. If you are 16 or 17, you must bring a certified copy of your birth certificate.
Previous Marriages & Civil Unions
We must know how your previous marriage, civil union or substantially similar legal relationship ended, including the date, county and state in which it ended. If a prior marriage, civil union or substantially similar legal relationship ended within the last six months, the County Clerk’s office must see a certified copy (a photocopy is not sufficient) of the death record, divorce, dissolution or annulment decree. Parties to a civil union, if the license was issued by this office, may convert the civil union to a marriage without a ceremony.
If either person lives in another state, we will issue a license only if the marriage would not be prohibited by that state.
Effective Date of License
Marriage licenses must be obtained at least one day prior to the marriage. The marriage must take place in Peoria County within 60 days.
The fee for a marriage license is $75, which must be paid by check (the check must include your Driver’s License Number and State where issued, if not Illinois, and your phone number). After your marriage, certified copies of your marriage license may be purchased. The first certified copy is $16 and additional copies purchased at the same time are $7 each.
No medical tests are required.
Clergy or Judge Services
Judges are not currently performing ceremonies in the Courthouse due to the Courthouse being closed to the public. Under normal circumstances, appointments are necessary. The judge’s fee is $10 and witnesses are not required.