Peoria County Government invites the public to join us for our upcoming Learn with Peoria County programming at Illinois Central College’s North Campus.
Peoria County employs experts in fields such as law enforcement, personal health and safety, emergency preparedness, the tax cycle, and more. During these free programs, staff members will share knowledge in their fields of expertise, and participants will have the opportunity to interact and ask questions.
These free programs are for adults ages 18 and older and require registration. All classes are from 6-8 p.m. Residents can register online at www.icc.edu/acp; by calling ICC at (309) 690-6900; or in-person at ICC North’s Hickory Hall, located at 5407 N. University St. in Peoria.
September 5 – The Basics of Property Assessment: Where Do Your Tax Dollars Go?
Instructor: Dave Ryan, Peoria County Supervisor of Assessments
- “Why are my property taxes so high? What the heck is the ‘Pleasure Driveway?’ Why does it look like my house is only worth 1/3 of what I paid for it? What do these abbreviations mean?” If you have ever asked yourself any of these questions while trying to decode your property tax bill, we invite you to join Peoria County Supervisor of Assessments Dave Ryan as he explains how your property is assessed and where your tax dollars go. Learn how property taxes are determined, how levies affect the total amount you owe, when you can appeal your property assessment, and more.
- Direct registration link: https://bit.ly/2YnZiTz
September 9 –Finding Property Information in Peoria County
Instructor: Josh Thompson, Peoria County GIS Manager
- This workshop is designed for both intermediate and advanced computer users interested in utilizing Peoria County’s Front Desk GIS map application, which is available online at no charge. Learn about how to locate property information and characteristics, subdivision plats, topographic and interactive maps, aerial photos, and more. This hands-on workshop will go over the basics of the map application, which can be accessed on any web browser, mobile device, or computer.
- Direct registration link: https://bit.ly/30Viohq
October 24 – How to Prevent a Kitchen Nightmare!
Instructors: Renee Spradlin and Stephanie Streight, Peoria City/County Health Department
- What is the difference between 'best by' and 'use by' on food packaging? How 'overripe' is 'too ripe' for this fruit? Is it safe to buy those dented cans of food on the grocery store shelf? Our own kitchens can be a high-risk environment for foodborne illness. Microscopic germs such as bacteria, viruses, and parasites can thrive in food that is improperly stored or handled. If ingested, these germs can make you, your family, and your dinner guests sick. Join Peoria City/County Health Department Environmental Health Coordinators as they explain the best practices for keeping your food, kitchen, and dinner parties safe--not spooky!
- Direct registration link: https://bit.ly/2JU3aUl